Thursday, January 20, 2005

Sports Update

A few sports things to indulge today:
#1)Back on Dec. 17th I told you about the brave D.C. Councilwoman who was standing up to major league baseball and refusing to have the public fund a new baseball stadium. Well, the next day the brave women, of course, gave in. Now she didn't say she gave in exactly, instead she ended up voting for the stadium after assuring everyone she had gotten a guarantee that private groups would pay for a majority of the cost. Unfortunately, although city officials had received about 30 offers to help pay, they quickly made it known you would have to pay $10,000 to get into the process of helping pay. (If that last sentence didn't make sense just remember we're talking the government here, it's not supposed to make sense.) Only 8 groups are now willing to help. My faith is restored in the political process. For a minute there I thought we were going to see some integrity and common sense. Glad we dodged that bullet. (For full story click here.)
#2)Well it seems the major league hockey strike is finally having an impact. Half of the employees at the plant that produces NHL official hockey pucks have been let go. Now those employees will understand the suffering the millionaire major league hockey players and owners are going through with the work stoppage. That is if the players hear the news while they're all in Europe playing hockey and the owners buisness managers feel it's worth passing on. If you feel the situation is unfair please contact your local city council member to complain. Have your credit card ready.
The silver lining to this story... the plant is in Canada, so who cares. (For full story click here.)

If you are a Canadian and were offended by that last statement, let me refer you to my city council member. Of course the complaint will cost you about 3.5 million in Canadian dollars.

3 comments:

Fabian said...

So that will cost $10 US eh (said with a Canadian accent)? What is that in Euro's?

James said...

I don't see the problem. This guy's car needed a jump and he asked if I could help, and I said sure. Then he said I needed to give him $20 so that I could be "part of the helping process", so I said You Bet and gave him $20, then jumped his car. Luckily, the "thanks again" fee I had to pay before he left wasn't too much more than that because I'd only had $60 left in my wallet. When I told him that he said "what a coincidence" so I guess I really lucked out.

Barry said...

Howdy to all you old Franklin High folks that James is bringing to the site. By the way, my current intern was born in '87. We are all so stinking old :)