Monday, January 24, 2005

Christian Music

I hear it all the time. "What do you mean you don't listen to much Christian music? You're a music minister!"

Hopefully this, admitedly small, sample of popular Christian music lyrics will help you understand:

1. Take a look at what Jesus did, I think that's so groovy. The living Word, God walking in the flesh, and I think that it's so groovy. (Scarecrow and Tinman, "Groovy")
2. Just then I noticed a sign. It read, "Renew your soul through Jesus at Exit 39." I walked through an open door and I statrted to listen . . . I saw water turn to wine at Exit 39 - Down at Exit 39." (John Elefante, Exit 39)
3. Sometimes I feel like this world is just one big, gigantic merry-go round
You gotta hold on tight or you get hurled thru the air
Yea, life is a 3 ring circus with clowns and freaks and camels and such
And you never know when you might be attacked by the bears (Michael W. Smith, "Love Me Good")
4. "Hold on as tight as you can, we're gonna blast upon this land with a supersonic kind of love dripping from God's Bionic Son." (Scarecrow and Tinman, "Bionic Son")

This is why my radio's usally tuned to talk. I expect to hear empty lyrics from secular music, but if I tuned my radio on and heard one of these classics I'm afraid my head would explode.

No comments: