Monday, January 10, 2005

Blog Theme Day: Pimping

The word "pimping" has become fairly commonly used of late and there has been talk (even on a national radio show) on whether or not it is appropriate.
Unlike some euphemisms that don't have appropriate meanings, this word simply means to promote something. The problem is it's been commonly associated with prostitution and therefore has been taken out of "polite talk". Sort of like the word "orgy", it has perfectly good uses but just sounds nasty. I believe it's mainly a matter of context. For instance:
Good: "I continually pimp my blog." Bad: "I like pimping my church."
Good: "I'm pimping my ride." Bad: "I'm pimping my wife."
Good: Asking, "What should I pimp next?" Bad: Asking, "What would Jesus pimp?"
See, it's all about context.
Now, I personally don't throw it in the same category as ^%$&^%& or *%$#$% or even $#%^&*. I mean I've used the word pimping in certain situations even though I'd never say #$%@ or #^%&*!. I mean who in their %$(#)@ right minds would say $%!@# or *&$#@? Only #@$%@* idiots!
Well that's my opinion on the subject. I hope I didn't offend you. If I did I'm !@#$@% sorry.

Make sure you check out other positions on this burning subject at the blog links to the left. I'm sure it will be @#$@##$ educational.

Due to a retreat I'll be going on the next post will be this Thursday.

No comments: