Thursday, July 14, 2005

Canadian Craziness


I recently posted on Baseball and softball being booted from the Olympics and concerned Canadian reader KK took offense to my treatment of Curling in my missive and responded with, "Curling is awesome!"
Did we need any more proof Canadians are irrelevant?
Come on KK, several adjectives might fit curling... cold, slow, boring, Canadian... but awesome?
If you don't live in or near the Great White North and don't know what curling is just think of shuffleboard on ice.
Is it even a sport?

Does is require physical exertion? Maybe for the sweepy guys. But I never considered my mom participating in a sport when she swept the kitchen.
Does it require skill? It's shuffleboard on ice. Do I need to say more?
Are there comprehensible rules? I watched it religiously as a kid on channel 9 out of Windsor. I have no idea what the rules are. And yes, I had a sad, boring childhood.
Can it hurt you? Maybe if you slipped and your tongue stuck to the ice.
In short, curling should be relegated to Antartic senior cruises.
Alright, do you have the stones ("Stones", a little inside curling pun there) to respond KK? ;)

2 comments:

shannoncaroland said...

I'm glad you included that parenthetical statement at the end. The "stones" would have slid right past me.

James said...

I for one salute our brethren to the North. They, too, are under great stress in these modern times. Hopefully our Supreme Court can learn from the British Columbia Supreme Court:

COQUITLAM, British Columbia (AP) -- A handful of people in Canada got a sneak peak of the latest Harry Potter book, but a British Columbia Supreme Court judge ordered them to keep it a secret.