Friday, May 27, 2005

The Music Man

Bear with me a moment, but for the first time I have something deserving serious comment here. My high school music teacher, Mr. Ballard, died a few days ago and I was trying to think of what to write and wasn't able to find the words. But, I stumbled on an old friends web site and he expressed the heart of the matter. This is part of his comments.
"Those who say that I'm a musical guy never knew Bob Ballard. The man was the living embodiment of music. His love and absolute passion for it was infectious, although his disdain for modern music and people "posing" as singers was pretty big as well. It was his life, pure and simple. The idea of him retiring seemed preposterous, although he talked about it a lot. The man HAD to do what he was doing. It was his calling, his purpose. He did the school choirs, the musicals, his church choir, a couple of college choirs, community choirs, community theatre musicals...you name it. He had a long and very illustrious career, and touched many people in the process.Mr. Ballard did more to help me become the man I am today than anyone. He pushed me, but he gave me confidence. It was that confidence that helped me come out of my self-imposed shell and show the world who I really was. He allowed me to finally be myself. He gave to me a gift that I can never repay, and I don't think he ever realized just how much he helped me.There is only one way I can properly say goodbye to Mr. Ballard. Every concert we did in school, he would invite the alumni onto the stage with the choir and we would close every show with the following song...
The Lord bless you and keep youThe Lord lift his countenance upon youAnd give you peaceThe Lord make his grace to shine upon youAnd be gracious unto youAmen
Goodbye and thank you, Mr. Ballard. I am forever in your debt."
All I can say is... Amen.

4 comments:

James said...

And to think it was that first day as Freshmen in Mr. Ballard's Male Chorale that I met Baz. (Yeah I still want to call him Mr. Ballard.) He affected a lot of peoples' lives in good and permanent ways.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for telling me about this. I had to read this blog to find it out!!
P.S. HI JAMES!

James said...

Jill, if you email me your address I'll make sure you get on the mailing list so that you won't have to rely on "Mr. Communication" (I'm talking about your brother, by the way) to pass along info.

There was a special service at FHS on Saturday in the auditorium. I've heard it was very moving. Someone prepared a power-point slide-show, I'm trying to get a copy and maybe put up a web-page somewhere. I know I have a lot of BCC pictures I should get online as well.

Anonymous said...

Ah! The good old days! I feel like my kids and their friends are in high school again...Try to play nice, children!!

MOM Z.