Monday, August 20, 2007

Getting Pooped On

So I was really bored yesterday and there was nothing on TV until I flipped by "Dirty Jobs" on the discovery channel. I'd never seen it but got hooked on the stupid host just going from one messy job to another. He was working in a dam, and a snake farm, and laying railroad trusses, and cleaning bell towers, etc. It was pretty entertaining.
Then they went to what was called "Vomit Island". An island off the West Coast, I believe, where they had done bomb test in WWII and now was 80 acres of bird sanctuary. It seems the birds, when threathened, regurgitate fish and poop on the threats below. Once a year people from the Fish and Wildlife Department and some Enviornmental group go out and tag the birds and count the nest. Why? "So if they die in Canada or Mexico we'll know where they are from and so we can know what kind of effect the birds have on the island."
SO FREAKING WHAT!!?!!?!?!?!?!? This is what we are spending money on in this country? Have we really gotten this rich? Someone tell me one more time why we need to increase taxes because we don't have enough for essential services?
So what did I take away from this episode? I learned you don't have to go to Vomit Island to get pooped on.

No comments: