Thursday, August 16, 2007

30 Years Ago today...

...Elvis left the building. Audiences of his time had never before heard music like Presley played or seen performances like Presley gave. Roy Orbison said upon seeing early Elvis, "There was just no reference point in the culture to compare [him]." Elvis became his own film genre, a modern day icon, the lifelong addiction of millions, and the inspiration for hundreds of artist. I admit back when I was a kid one of the albums I got with the Columbia Record Clubs one cent choice was a Best Of Elvis album. I loved it. I'll still stop the scan on the radio for a good Elvis song. I also admit feeling nostalgic for the days when shaking your hips a little was enough to be called controversial. However, about 12 years ago I took some kids to inner city Memphis where we worked in some of the projects Elvis lived in and walked where Elvis walked among the jazz clubs on Beale St. Elvis's influences hung heavy in the air. And yet when asked if they'd rather go see Graceland or hit a special exhibit on the Titanic for their "fun" day, the teens unanamously chose the Titanic exhibit. Is it possible that after 30 years Elvis is finally getting ready to really leave the building? I guess I kinda hope not. In honor of the King of Rock and Roll take some time to read his Wikiipeida entry. It's a real fun look at a whole different time and world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presely

No comments: