Thursday, March 01, 2007

Another Chapter for my Book...

I have another chapter for my forthcoming imaginary book... "Why I Hate Christians".

Yesterday, during a discussion of the supposed finding of Jesus tomb, a Christian leader was quoted as saying, "Even if He was found in His tomb it would not affect my faith. Faith is a matter of choice... an internal matter. Between me and God."
What an idiot.
If Jesus body is found your faith is useless (that's in the Bible somewhere). It reminded me of a time I visted a mega-church (12,000+). The preacher said, "How many of you if it was proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Jesus body was found would still be a Chrisitan tomorrow?" 90% of the congregation raised their hands. Pavlov would be proud.
It's examples like this that continue to represent Christianity as a blind faith belief system instead of the reasoned, historically grounded faith it is meant to be that make it so hard for seriously thinking people to even give Christianity a fair examination. If anything the Christian faith inherently almost dares you to examine it fully. Compare that to Mormonism or Islam that have built into their system ways to deflect investigation.
Faith is placed IN something and if that something is not true then your faith is misplaced. You can place your faith in Jetblue, that don't mean you're getting off the runway. I'm not saying those with blind faith aren't Christian I'm just saying they at times can hurt the cause. It just seems too many Christians are commited to thier idea of Chrisitanity instead of being convinced of Chrisitianity itself.
Look, I'm a firm believer that in all the belief systems in the world from atheism to Hinduism it's Christianity that takes the least amount of faith. In my examination it has the most reasonable evidence to place my faith in. More power to the people who are trying to disprove it (more people have tried than with any other belief system and far more qualified people than movie makers). I just wish more of them were honest with their evaluations and more open-minded to where their investigations might lead. Good investigation can only help solidify my choice of faith or close the door on it. Either way I'm better off.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you don't want to be a chapter in my book, don't be so close minded to others challenging your foundations that you make stupid comments and expose you faith for what it is... blind.

Sorry for the more serious rant. Pet Peeve. Makes me long for a Time Waster Tuesday.

2 comments:

James said...

I guess there is the sentiment of "I'm a follower of Christ"-type Christian along the lines of living by His teachings about compassion and loving your enemies that doesn't require His divinity. So maybe those were the people who raised their hands at the mega-church. Although, that probably wasn't why they were raising their hands.

I missed the whole announcement of the 'discovery' of 'the tomb of Jesus'... guess I'll have to watch the factual and accurate account on the Discovery Channel on Sunday or else Tivo it.

All leading epigraphers agree about the inscriptions. All archaeologists confirm the nature of the find. It comes down to a matter of statistics. A statistical study commissioned by the broadcasters (Discovery Channel/Vision Canada/C4 UK) concludes that the probability factor is 600 to 1 in favor of this tomb being the tomb of Jesus of Nazareth and his family.

600 to 1... that's pretty good odds.

Barry said...

Well if you can't trust all the experts who can you trust?
http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=CZ434669U&news_headline=global_warming_is_lies_claims_documentary