Monday, June 04, 2007

Paris Hilton Going to Jail Naked!

Yes, you got it from the title. It's a sports blog. (If I called this "Pistons Wrap-up" several of you would have read no further.)
Well, another season over. Another huge dissapointment in the playoffs. Where should we lay the blame and what should we do in the future? The answer is one player. Billups.
Last, year I jumped off the Billiups bandwagon and said that we should get rid of him, that he was overated. I was berated by a co-worker and eventually over the course of the season said I'd changed my mind and he looked great. I've changed my mind again.
Billups is an overated egomanic. His "we've been here before" and "we'll just turn it on" attitude after losses is what tanked this team. Although, I did love the look on his face in the 4th quarter of the last game when he realized, "Oh crap, we don't have enough time to win this."
So the blame for these miserable loses lies with the team leader. Detroit fans blaming Flip are just refusing to see the truth that thier beloved Chauncy now thinks it's about him not the team.
The future? Don't resign Billups. Let him go. Rebuild. Get rid of Sheed and/or Webber. Bring up one of your younger guys as point guard and go get a big man somewhere. My thought is, just like Ben"idict" Wallace, Billups won't even be an all-star if he isn't with the Pistons and if he isn't paid as if he's the 2nd best point gaurd in the league his attitude will suck this team down even more.
Don't get me wrong, the Pistons are no Lions, they'll bounce back. But, I think this group, "Billups team", should be done. And this time I won't change my mind. It's been a great run, but you've reached the finish line.

6 comments:

Zimmerfly said...

I'm with you. Billups most go. He is the virus who's affecting the attitude of the rest of the team. His arrogant (I play hard for 15 minutes per game)attitude is killing the whole team.

shannoncaroland said...

If I didn't know you guys well enough, I'd wonder if you even watched the games. Whatever.

I too think it may be time to move Chauncey, not because I think he is overrated or egomaniacal. I don't. But you have to sign him first, then trade him. You can't let one of the top PG's walk. You can get a ton of value out of him and Rip and maybe Sheed.

I think you have to build around Tayshaun, Maxiel, and Ameer. Everybody else can go. We'll target 2010 as our next run. Of course, we'll just have to get past the young Bulls, young Raptors, young Magic, Agent Zero, D-Wade, and LeBron in the East. On the other hand, we're totally screwed.

shannoncaroland said...

After writing that, I feel like I might throw up.

Barry said...

Ha!
Rumor is Sheed and Rip for Garnett.
Not sure what I think.

shannoncaroland said...

in a heartbeat

Sam said...

I think the biggest culprit is Prince. He couldn't defend Lebron, he couldn't hit a shot, he couldn't do anything. So, regardless of how poorly Billups played, they were constantly playing 4 on 5.